The qualifications have been created to develop and reward the hospitality and tourism managers of today and the future, and to continue to bring recognition and professionalism to the management sectors.
We hope that centres and learners take the opportunity to learn a great deal from these programmes that will provide relevant new skills and qualities. It is envisaged that these programmes will encourage both academic and professional development so that you learners move forward to realise not just their own potential but also that of organisations across a broad range of sectors.
The Certificate is accredited at Level 4 and the Diplomas are accredited at Level 3 and Level 5. Each programme has a total equivalence of 120 credits. Completing the Level 4 Certificate and the Level 5
Diploma has a value of 240 credits. This is equivalent to a Foundation Degreeand as such allows access to the final year at one of our University partners for a related honours degree.
The rationale for the programmes is to provide a career path for learners who wish to develop their management capabilities within the business sector. The outcome of the Certificate and Diplomas, which are recognised UK Qualifications, is for learners to develop the skills required by organisations globally.
All programmes create learning that advances the thought leadership of organisations, offering conceptual and practical insights that are applicable in the companies of today and tomorrow.
Furthermore, we look to develop the team leaders, managers and leaders of the future through the creation and delivery of learning appropriate for industry.
The Certificate and Diplomas will link to key development in areas of commerce. Contemporary issues are identified and evaluated so that the learner has a true vocational understanding on the industry as well as an academic perspective.
In order to achieve this, work placements are encouraged so that genuine experience can be gained and a true insight into the practicalities of management can be realised.
The programmes provide the opportunity for individuals to forge a career in hospitality and tourism by seeking a greater knowledge and understanding industry, and to support the individual’s development into senior positions. The programmes aim to provide the following:
- An introduction and insight into the Hospitality and Tourism Industries
- Background knowledge required to address the key aspects of the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the Hospitality and Tourism Industries by exploring and analysing real life scenarios and businesses
- A qualification that enables students to gain credit towards degree entry
- A qualification that enables students to develop the academic standards required for study at a higher level
- To enable learners to apply analytical and evaluative techniques to business in private and public sectors
- To enhance analytical and evaluative skills relating to business across a number of industries
- To develop the learner’s ability to recognise and reflect on the process of personal learning and development, which facilitates the enhancement of key personal, sociable and other transferable skills
- To encourage the learner’s self-reflection, analytical, intellectual and transferable skills.
The overall learning outcomes for all programmes are:
- To understand and apply the principles of leadership in a business environment
- Review and apply the principles of business management within industry
- To understand and apply the principles of management in a specific environment
- To improve the employability of learners by allowing them to explore the relationship between management theories and their practical application in the business world.
- Analyse problem solving techniques specific to business and industry
- Select, collate, review and analyse information form a wide range of sources
- Effectively use verbal and communication skills
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Manage one’s own personal development and growth.
The qualifications have been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression. Entry to the qualifications will be through centre interview and learners will be expected to hold the following:
- qualifications at Level 3 and/or 4;
- work experience at a managerial level and demonstrate ambition with clear career goals;
- a first degree in another discipline and want to develop their careers hospitality and tourism management.
In certain circumstances, managers with considerable experience but no formal qualifications may be considered, subject to interview and being able to demonstrate their ability to cope with the demands of the programme.
In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then IELTS 6 (or equivalent) is required. International Qualifications will be checked for appropriate matriculation to UK Higher Education postgraduate programmes. The applicants are normally required to produce two supporting references, at least one of which should preferably be academic.
|Unit Reference||Mandatory Units||Level||TQT||GLH||Credits|
|HTM501||Tourism Destination Management||5||300||150||30|
|HTM502||Entrepreneurship in Tourism and Hospitality Management||5||300||150||30|
|HTM503||Cultural Tourism Management||5||300||150||30|